Past REV UP Events
The REV UP Voting Campaign hosts webinars, trainings, and discussions with our organizers and partners on key topics in voting access and outreach.
If you missed out on these events, you can still check out the event recordings (which include captioning and ASL interpreting), transcripts, and more info below:
REV UP Digital Organizing Workshop | June 22, 2022 – Our own Communications Director Jess Davidson co-led this workshop with Jordan DeLoach, the Director of Communications at State Voices. This workshop was both interactive and full of practical advice and strategies for how REV UP organizers can make the most of digital tools to build community and increase civic engagement in their communities. Access the recording.
REV UP Voting Barriers Workshop Workshop | May 16, 2022 – During this panel-style workshop, Mia Ives-Rublee, Michelle Bishop, and YT Bell, shared their insights on voting barriers facing disabled voters, progress made towards voting access, and what must be done to increase voting access. We had 76 attendees for this event, and received good feedback about the importance of this event for our partners. Access the recording.
REV UP Staying Nonpartisan Workshop Workshop | May 9, 2022 – For our second REV UP Workshop of the spring, we partnered with Bolder Advocacy at Alliance for Justice who provided a training for REV UP on how to do voting outreach and advocacy during an election year while staying nonpartisan. We had 40 attendees for this training, and had an engaged audience asking about the specific challenges they face with trying to stay nonpartisan while getting out the disability vote.
REV UP Voter Registration Workshop | March 23, 2022 – This spring, REV UP is hosting a series of workshops on Getting out the Vote in the disability community. This first workshop on March 23 focused on voter registration and featured panelists from the REV UP network and partner organizations including Gene Martinez, Krystle Allen, Rainey Dock Matthews, and Carolyn Dewitt. Access the recording and transcript.
REV UP and NCIL Webinar: Campaigning with a Disability | March 21, 2022 – REV UP co-hosted this webinar with the National Coalition on Independent Living (NCIL) on March 21. The event included a presentation from Sarah Blahovec at NCIL about key things to consider when thinking about running for office as a person with a disability. The event also included a panel discussion Harriet Hines, Jules Good, and Nikki Villavicencia, each of whom shared their experiences with campaigning as a disabled candidate. Access the recording and transcript.
REV UP Orientation: Join the REV UP Network | January 19, 2022 – This event focused on the redistricting process and how you can advocate for fair districts. With the 2020 Census data released, states have begun the redistricting process, and some state legislatures have already voted on new district lines. Organizers have a chance to shape future districts by sharing about their communities. Access the recording, list of speakers, and transcript.
Voting Barriers Workshop | May 16, 2022 – This month, REV UP hosted a workshop on voting barriers, featuring Mia Ives-Rublee, YT Bell, and Michelle Bishop. During the workshop, this panel spoke about the importance of voting and strategies for addressing voting barriers as we get out the vote in 2022. Access the recording and transcript.
- REV UP Webinar: Redistricting | October 22, 2021 – This event focused on the redistricting process and how you can advocate for fair districts. With the 2020 Census data released, states have begun the redistricting process, and some state legislatures have already voted on new district lines. Organizers have a chance to shape future districts by sharing about their communities. Access the recording, list of speakers, and transcript.
- Disability Vote Summit: Understanding the Disability Vote | September 14, 2021 – The National Disability Rights Network and the American Association of People with Disabilities hosted the 2021 Disability Vote Summit on Tuesday, September 14, 2021 from 12:00 – 4:00 PM EST. At the virtual Summit, we explored the power of the disability vote, lessons learned from 2020 turnout, how to use data to mobilize the disability vote. Access the recording, list of speakers, and transcript.
- Training: National Disability Voter Registration Week | August 5 & 11, 2021 – REV UP held two trainings on how to get involved in National Disability Voter Registration Week. During these trainings, organizers in the REV UP network shared ideas and tips for voter registration, voter education, candidate engagement, relational organizing, and partnering with other organizations. The training also provided three key steps for how to get involved, including signing up, accessing our resources, and beginning to plan. Access the recording. Access the transcript.
- Training: Voter ID Requirements | August 3, 2021 – Selene Gomez, National Outreach Director at VoteRiders, joined REV UP organizers to provide a training on understanding voter identification (ID) laws and how they impact voting access. Selene also talked about how to use the tools and services VoteRiders provides to connect voters with disabilities to the ID they need to vote. If you are interested in partnering with VoteRiders to host a training specific to your state’s voter ID laws, reach out to Selene at email@example.com. Access the recording. Access the transcript.
- REV UP Webinar: Protecting the Right to Vote | April 22, 2021 – In this REV UP webinar, disability, voting, and civil rights advocates discussed state bills trying to restrict voting rights and access, as well as two major federal bills, the For the People Act and the John Lewis Voting Rights Act, with the potential to expand voting rights and access to voters of color, voters with disabilities, and disabled voters of color. The panelists discuss tools to advocate for voting rights and the state and federal level. Access the recording and transcript.
- REV UP Webinar: The Disability Vote in 2020 | March 18, 2021 – Dr. Lisa Schur and Dr. Doug Kruse, researchers at Rutgers University, share key insights on the experience of voters with disabilities in the 2020 elections. Dr. Schur and Dr. Kruse’s research on the disability vote in 2020 was commissioned and supported by the Election Assistance Commission. Read more about Dr. Kruse and Dr. Schur’s research through the Election Assistance Commission. Access the recording and transcript.
- Power: The Disability Vote Summit | June 22-23, 2020 – The American Association of People with Disabilities hosted POWER: the Disability Vote, a national, non-partisan Disability & Election Virtual Summit. Over 800 live viewers tuned in for panels, presentations, and a national call-to-action to mobilize disability voters and allies. Access the recording and transcript.