COVID-19 & Higher Education Program Manager
The American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD) is a convener, connector, and catalyst for change, increasing the political and economic power of people with disabilities. As a national disability rights organization, AAPD advocates for full civil rights for the 60 million Americans with disabilities by promoting equal opportunity, economic power, independent living, and political participation. Learn more at www.aapd.com.
AAPD is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive work environment. Our office collaborates across initiatives to actively uplift and center the diversity of the disability community in our work. We are looking to hire a detail-oriented staff member who will support all AAPD programs’ events and logistics. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. Applicants with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
- Position Title: Program Manager
- Position Level: Mid-Level
- Job Type: Full-time
- Reports To: Programs Director
- Format: Flexible (e.g. hybrid* or remote)
- Expected Start Date: November 2022
- Salary: $70,000 – $80,000
* The AAPD office will not reopen in-person until Spring 2023. Upon reopening, we will maintain a hybrid work environment.
The Program Manager is a person who is passionate about increasing accessible and inclusive post-secondary education for disabled students and staff, community and coalition building, and student organizing and advocacy. They will be responsible for planning, developing, and execution of the new COVID-19 and Higher Education multi-year grant. Please see AAPD’s press release announcement for more information on this grant. The long-term goal of the grant is that institutions of higher education adopt more inclusive and accessible policies and support systems that center disabled students, faculty, and staff during the continued COVID-19 pandemic and beyond.
Roles and Responsibilities
The job responsibilities outlined below are primarily focused on the first year of the grant. Future year responsibilities will be shaped by the first year’s outcomes and priorities.
The Program Manager is responsible for:
- Planning out the blue-print for years 1-4 and beyond, focusing on three goals:
- Building a collaborative of disabled students, faculty, and staff
- Developing an advocacy agenda
- Providing trainings, workshops, and information to support students, faculty, and staff with disabilities in higher education
- Researching and identifying key community partners to engage in the process
- Hosting and facilitating listening sessions with community members, partners, and organizations within the post-secondary education space and using the listening sessions as the basis for the 4 year blue-print for this initiative
- Leading the development of request for proposal and selection process for two sub-awardees to support the mid-term goals
- Collaborating with the two sub-awardees to collectively achieve the long-term goals of the program
- Developing evaluation measures to ensure the grant goals are achieved
- Conducting evaluations of program activity and implementing program improvements based on evaluation feedback
- Sharing progress reports and updates to the broader community and sponsors regarding grant work
- Researching best practices for online community engagement and dissemination
- Conducting literature reviews of existing data and research around post-secondary education, COVID-19, and disability
- Other duties as assigned by the Programs Director
Applicants should possess the following:
- Ability to communicate with diverse stakeholders in different formats, including comfort with public speaking, facilitating large group discussions, and writing reports and updates
- Comfort making decisions about the direction of program and key logistics needs
- Exceptional organizational/planning skills and attention to detail
- Experience in handling sensitive data and other confidential information, and demonstrated discretion and strong judgment in such situations
- Background knowledge in public health, particularly around COVID-19 and Long COVID
- Background knowledge of disability rights, disability justice, and disability policy as well as current events affecting the disability community, with a focus on post-secondary education
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and an understanding of how these frameworks can impact disabled students, faculty, and staff in higher education
- Computer experience proficiency related to Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, PowerPoint), virtual platforms (e.g. Zoom, Monday.com, Google Shared Drive), e-mail, and researching information
- Past experiences including student involvement and leadership on university or college campus
- Experience and deep understanding on how to build and engage a coalition and building relationships with individuals
- Past experiences demonstrate strong project management skills
- At least 4 years of experience related to job responsibilities
AAPD offers an exceptional benefits package that includes paid time off; health, dental, and vision insurance; short-term and long-term disability insurance, all federal holidays off, end-of-the-year holiday paid leave between Christmas Day and New Years Day, flexible religious holidays, 403(b) retirement plan with employer contribution; professional development, and generous bereavement policy and transit benefits.
Please submit your application materials on the following job application link, including:
- Cover letter (including salary requirements)
- Two professional references
If you have any inquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “COVID 19 & Higher Education Program Manager Inquiry.”
AAPD will accept applications on a rolling basis until November 14, 2022 at 11:59pm ET.
Plain Word Text: Application
Thank you for your interest in applying for the AAPD Program Manager position. Please fill out the information below. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com with the subject line “COVID 19 & Higher Education Program Manager Inquiry.”
* indicates required information.
- First Name*
- Last Name*
- Email address*
- Phone number*
- Cover letter*
- Reference 1*
- Full name
- Email address
- Phone Number
- Reference 2*
- Full Name
- Email Address
- Phone Number