Events and Logistics Coordinator
The American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD) is a convener, connector, and catalyst for change, increasing the political and economic power of people with disabilities. As a national cross-disability rights organization, AAPD advocates for full civil rights for the 60 million Americans with disabilities by promoting equal opportunity, economic power, independent living, and political participation. To learn more about AAPD’s work, mission, and values, go to www.aapd.com.
Our team is steadfast in our mission to empower our disability community through thoughtful, innovative, and proven strategies. We are looking for someone with a passion for strengthening initiatives in a meaningful and collaborative setting. AAPD is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. Applicants with disabilities, especially AAPD program alumni, are especially encouraged to apply.
- Position Level: Coordinator
- Job Type: Full-time
- Reports To: Programs Director
- Format: Flexible
- Expected Start Date: June 2023
The Events and Logistics Coordinator will provide coordination and administrative support of programs-related meetings and events. The Coordinator will be responsible for ensuring smooth event preparation, management, and vendor relationships. AAPD events will be in-person, hybrid, and virtual. The Coordinator will demonstrate a strong understanding of different components required to ensure the meetings and events are executed efficiently and accessibly. This person will be detail oriented and can manage multiple competing priorities. Lastly, due to the highly collaborative nature of this position, the Coordinator will be a team-player with strong communication skills.
AAPD’s national programs include, but not are not limited to: Internship Programs and Disability Advocacy Certificate Program, COVID-19 and Higher Education, Alumni Network, Career Fairs, Disability Mentoring Day, REV-UP Coalition, Technology Form, and Start Access. In addition to events associated with our programs, there may be other events related to advocacy efforts, community outreach, or special occasions that may require support from the Events and Logistics Coordinator.
Roles and Responsibilities
General Programs Duties
The Coordinator will be responsible for planning and executing necessary preparation to ensure the events run smoothly. In collaboration with the Programs Team and/or Operations Director, the Coordinator is responsible for the following:
- Gathering relevant information from speakers and Programs staff to disseminate with the audience (e.g. bios, headshots, Zoom links, content information)
- Developing and managing registration forms for events to collect relevant information to better support the events and future efforts such as recruitment, engagement, and accessibility
- Developing and hosting a run-of-show while considering accessibility, engagement, and supports required
- Reserving space as needed, such as setting up Zoom links or office spaces
- Managing the purchases, shipment, and delivery of programs-related materials (e.g. swag and supplies)
- Securing necessary vendors for meetings, including but not limited to meeting spaces, ASL interpreters, CART, and audio/visual tools
- Managing the accommodations process for events for attendees and speakers
- Coordinating with the Operations Director on relevant travel for staff, interns, guest speakers, and special guests
- Assist in determining what kind of engagement, equipment, materials, and vendors are required for a successful event
- Developing and maintaining an internal and external calendar of events relevant to AAPD Programs
- Staying current with event management and engagement best practices for remote, hybrid, and in-person events
The Coordinator will be responsible for managing the events* to ensure everything operates as smoothly as possible. Some responsibilities include:
- Managing the flow of event such as technology, monitoring chatbox, and moderating questions
- Ensuring there is adequate support for the event (e.g. staffing, breaks, materials)
- Serving as the primary point of contact for vendors during events
- Packaging final event materials for electronic dissemination (e.g. recording, photos, evaluation, or supplemental materials)
*Please note there may be occasional work outside of a traditional Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm schedule.
In order to execute our events, the Coordinator will establish strong relationships with our vendors and be knowledgeable about various platforms. Responsibilities include:
- Developing and maintaining a database of vendors and platforms
- Assist the Operations Director with verifying quality and accessibility of vendors and/or platforms
Applicants should possess the following:
- Exceptional organizational/planning skills and attention to detail
- Exceptional communication skillsl
- Experience in handling sensitive data and other confidential information, and demonstrated discretion and strong judgment in such situations
- Experience managing events in a variety of formats and size (e.g., virtual, hybrid, in-person, webinars, small groups, classrooms, etc)
- Background knowledge of accessibility and group engagement
- Computer experience proficiency related to Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, PowerPoint) and virtual platforms (e.g. Zoom, Monday.com, Google Shared Drive), and e-mail
- Two years of relevant experience (paid and unpaid) to event planning or logistics work
AAPD offers an exceptional benefits package that includes paid time off; health, dental, and vision insurance; short-term and long-term disability insurance, all federal holidays off, end-of-the-year holiday paid leave between Christmas Day and New Years Day, flexible religious holidays, 403(b) retirement plan with employer contribution; professional development, and generous bereavement policy and transit benefits.
Application and Interview Process
Please submit your application materials on the following job application link, including:
- Short Answer Questions in lieu of a cover letter
Short Answer questions. The recommended length is 150-300 words per question except question #4:
- Why are you interested in this role and in working for AAPD?
- Please share any past experiences where you planned the logistics of an event and the outcomes of that event. Please feel free to include any helpful details, such as your role, what kind of logistics included, format, and how you assessed the success of the event.
- Please describe a past activity where you had to track multiple things happening at the same time.
- Does the salary range of $55,000 – $70,000 align with your expectations? Please feel free to explain further.
If selected for an interview, the candidate will participate in a 45-minute interview with the Programs Director and Operations Director. If moved forward, the candidate will submit two professional references and undergo a reference check. Then, the candidate will have a final 15-30 minute interview with the President & CEO.
All applicants will be notified of a decision.
If you have any inquiries, please email email@example.com with the subject line “Events & Logistics Coordinator Inquiry.”
AAPD will accept applications on a rolling basis until June 5, 2023 at 11:59pm ET.