REV UP for National Disability Voter Registration Week 2017
July 5, 2017
National Disability Voter Registration Week
July 17-21, 2017
The REV UP Campaign is coordinating the second annual National Disability Voter Registration Week (NDVRW) to increase the political power of people with disabilities while also engaging candidates and the media to recognize the disability community.
We are collecting sign-ons from organizations (national, state, and local) to show their support for the REV UP Campaign and National Disability Voter Registration Week. Supporting organizations will have their name and logo listed on the REV UP website to show the vast support behind the Campaign. Sign-on here!
How to get involved:
- Statement of Support for the REV UP Campaign and National Disability Voter Registration Week – sign here!
- Check out our live State Resources and Events page to see if there are any REV UP events or activities near you.
- Plan your own voter registration event. We have some resources available on our NDVRW page. When you have the details of your event ready please complete this online form or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hold a press event or conference with local partners to announce national and local efforts to get new people with disabilities registered to vote (sample press release)
- Write letters to the editor or Op-Eds and engage local radio or TV stations on the growing efforts by the disability community to become an influential voice in electoral politics this November and beyond.
- Host a workshop or training on state voter registration rules as well as your rights as a person with a disability.
- Make your organization a polling place. (Resources: How To Serve As A Polling Site and ADA Polling Place Checklist)
- Go to your City Council, County Commissioner, State Representative, etc. to get the week of July 17-21, 2017 declared National Disability Voter Registration Week (a draft Proclamation is available here).
These are just a few ideas to engage your community leading up to, throughout, and beyond National Disability Voter Registration Week. Check out AAPD’s website for more information.
Collect Your Data!
An important part of building our political power is collecting data and building lists to show that there are many people with disabilities who are registered and plan to vote. In 2016, Rutgers University estimated that 35.4 million people with disabilities are eligible to vote – this number increases to 62.7 million eligible voters, 25% of the total electorate, when we include family members of people with disabilities. We need your help to collect data and show the impact of our efforts. Please use the National Disability Voter Registration Week Reporting Form to record the number of people you register during National Disability Voter Registration Week.
AAPD offers REV UP images, logos, toolkits, and other documents free of charge for you to use and adapt as you coordinate voting activities in your area. Visit our REV UP Images and Toolkits page to learn more.
REV UP State Disability Voting Coalitions
The purpose of the REV UP State Disability Voting Coalitions is to influence election and policy outcomes at the local, state, and national level. We are looking for leaders who can pull together and organize advocates in their state to work together around voter registration and engagement activities and help establish a strong, diverse coalition. View the list of established and developing Coalitions – let us know if you would like to join an existing Coalition or launch one in your state.
We want to hear from you!
Are you planning a voter registration drive, press conference, voting rights workshop, or other event? Let us know! We’re trying to build a national effort to demonstrate the power of the DISABILITY VOTE. And we’d be happy to promote your event on our State Resources and Events page. Please send all events details to email@example.com.
REV UP to Save Medicaid
Thank you for your commitment to making the DISABILITY VOTE count!