Action Alert! 5 Days to Stop Latest Health Care Repeal Effort
September 25, 2017
We’re in the final stretch of the fight to stop the Graham-Cassidy-Heller-Johnson (GCHJ) bill from passing in the US Senate. September 25, 2017 is a National Disability Call-In Day to Save Medicaid.
The Graham-Cassidy-Heller-Johnson (GCHJ) proposal would:
- Allow insurers to charge individuals with pre-existing conditions more money for health coverage
- Cap and block grant Medicaid (the equivalent of Medicaid cuts)
- Cut funding for Medicaid expansion
- Cut funding for financial assistance that helps low-wage workers and moderate-income families buy private insurance
- Repeal the ACA individual and employer mandates
We have heard that Senator Rand Paul (R-KY), Senator John McCain (R-AZ), and Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) intend to vote no on the Graham-Cassidy bill – these are the three “no” votes needed to stop this bill. However, we cannot assume that Senators Paul, McCain, and Cruz will actually cast “no” votes when the Graham-Cassidy bill comes to a vote later this week. We must keep up the pressure on all Senators!
Past AAPD Action Alerts on Graham-Cassidy
- Action Alert! 10 Days to Stop Latest Health Care Repeal Effort
- Action Alert! Renewed Health Care Repeal Efforts Threaten Medicaid
Contact your Senators today and tell them not to support this bill!
Contact your Senators and share the following messages:
- Oppose the Graham-Cassidy-Heller-Johnson proposal and any other bill that cuts, caps, or block grants Medicaid.
- Support bi-partisan efforts to stabilize the healthcare marketplace and improve healthcare for all.
Call your Senators
Call the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and ask to be connected to your Senators. September 25, 2017 is a National Disability Call-In Day to Save Medicaid.
Tweet your Senators
Tweet your Senators and use the hashtags #SaveMedicaid, #NoCutsNoCaps, #ProtectOurCare, #ADAPTandRESIST, #KeepAmericaCovered, and/or #CoverageMatters.
Email your Senators
Contacting Congress provides unique links to email your Senators directly.
Meet with your Senators
Contacting Congress allows you to request a meeting with your Member of Congress. You can also check the Town Hall Project for congressional events in your area.
- Civic Engagement Toolbox for Self-Advocates – Autistic Self Advocacy Network
- How to Set up a Meeting with your Member of Congress – Families USA
Washington, DC Events
- Press Conference (Tuesday, 9/26) with Senator Casey at 11:30 a.m. on the east Capitol lawn near the Senate wing of the Capitol—with Senators Wyden, Stabenow, Van Hollen, Duckworth, and Hassan to address the effect of Graham-Cassidy on people with disabilities and the changes to Medicaid.
- Speak Out Event (Tuesday, 9/26) to stop Graham-Cassidy at 3:00 p.m. on the east lawn of the Capitol grounds.
Search the links below for events in your area.
- Congressional Protests to Save Health Care – MoveOn.org
- National Events – Center for Public Representation
- State Health Care Event Calendar 2017 – Families USA
- Graham-Cassidy-Heller-Johnson Bill Would Reduce Medicaid Funds to States by $713B Over the Next 10 Years – Avalere Health
- Sounding the Alarm: The New Senate Health Care Bill Could Cut $3.2 Trillion from Medicaid by 2036 – AARP
- Graham-Cassidy: A Closer Look At The Medicaid Provisions – Sara Rosenbaum, George Washington University School of Public Health and Health Services
- Graham-Cassidy Bill – Center for Public Representation
- Like Other ACA Repeal Bills, Cassidy-Graham Plan Would Add Millions to Uninsured, Destabilize Individual Market – Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
- Graham-Cassidy Proposal: Gigantic Block Grants and Huge Health Care Cuts – Families USA
- How Does Graham-Cassidy Compare to Previous Repeal Bills? – Families USA