Action Alert! Renewed Health Care Repeal Efforts Threaten Medicaid
[UPDATE – September 15, 2017]
The Graham-Cassidy-Heller-Johnson (GCHJ) proposal – a last-ditch effort to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act and gut Medicaid – is gaining traction in the Senate. Senator Cassidy (R-LA), one of the co-sponsors, told reporters he believes he has support from 48-49 Republican Senators, two or three votes shy of the majority needed to pass this bill.
Contact your Senators today to tell them to vote no on this bill!
Capitol Switchboard: (202) 224-3121
Tweet your Senators
September 14, 2017
Yesterday Senators Lindsay Graham (R-SC) and Bill Cassidy (R-LA) introduced a health care bill, endorsed by Senators Dean Heller (R-NV) and Ron Johnson (R-WI), that aims to bring back many of the harmful provisions seen in the Affordable Care Act (ACA) repeal bills over the summer.
This bill, known as the Graham-Cassidy-Heller-Johnson (GCHJ) proposal, would:
- Repeal the ACA individual and employer mandates
- Cap and block grant Medicaid (which is equivalent to Medicaid cuts)
- Cut funding for Medicaid expansion
- Cut funding for financial assistance that helps low-wage workers and moderate-income families buy private insurance
This latest health care repeal effort is reminiscent of the bad repeal bills we saw over the summer – it is just as harmful to people with disabilities and their families. Contact your Senators today and tell them not to support this bill!
Contact your Senators and share the following messages:
- Oppose the Graham-Cassidy-Heller-Johnson proposal and any other bill that cuts, caps, or block grants Medicaid.
- Support bi-partisan efforts to stabilize the healthcare marketplace and improve healthcare for all.
Call your Senators
Call the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and ask to be connected to your Senators.
Tweet your Senators
Tweet your Senators and use the hashtags #SaveMedicaid, #NoCutsNoCaps, #ProtectOurCare, #ADAPTandRESIST, #KeepAmericaCovered, and/or #CoverageMatters.
Email your Senators
Contacting Congress provides unique links to email your Senators directly.
- Like Other ACA Repeal Bills, Cassidy-Graham Plan Would Add Millions to Uninsured, Destabilize Individual Market – Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
- Graham-Cassidy Proposal: Gigantic Block Grants and Huge Health Care Cuts – Families USA
- How Does Graham-Cassidy Compare to Previous Repeal Bills? – Families USA
- New Threats to Medicaid: Action Needed – The Arc
- Protecting Medicaid and the ACA – Consortium for Citizens with Disabilities