National Disability Voter Registration Week
July 13-17, 2020
Every year, the REV UP Campaign coordinates National Disability Voter Registration Week (NDVRW) to increase the political power of people with disabilities by sharing resources and getting folks registered to vote. This year, NDVRW is July 13-17. With an estimated 35 million people with disabilities eligible to vote in 2020, we invite state and local organizations to participate in NDVRW in order to raise the disability voice and civic participation across the country!
COVID-19 Update: Although some states are slowly opening up, we are focusing on supporting the disability vote through digital organizing techniques throughout NDVRW!
Getting Involved in NDVRW
- Share our Online Voter Registration Portal! Direct folks to AAPD’s custom registration portal at weall.vote/aapd, powered by When We All Vote, where they can register to vote in just a few minutes.
- Host a Virtual Event! Host a virtual event to help voters in your state understand the rules, disability voting rights, voting options, safety-protocols, and key dates for the 2020 elections.
- Organizing Virtual Text-banking! AAPD has partnered with When We All Vote to use OutVote, an app that helps individuals to use texting to get out the vote among their friends and family. Check out instructions for using OutVote in our NDVRW 2020 toolkit.
- Activate your Social Media! Use the power and reach of social media to share our online voter registration portal weall.vote/aapd, motivate your network to register and vote, and inform voters on your state’s election rules and dates.
- Use our NDVRW 2020 Toolkit! Our Toolkit provides key resources and info to help you engage with NDVRW!
NDVRW Resources & Tools
Getting people with disabilities registered to vote is the first step to increasing the political power of people with disabilities. Below are links to tools and resources to help you get involved in NDVRW 2020:
- NDVRW Signup Form If you are planning voter registration events or other activities, please keep the REV UP Campaign updated on your efforts!
- NDVRW 2020 Toolkit The NDVRW Toolkit includes a guide on how to organize virtual voter registration events, sample social media posts and graphics, and more.
- NDVRW Digital Organizing Training On June 10th, AAPD and When We All Vote hosted a training on how to get folks registered through digital organizing strategies.
- Online Voter Registration Portal (weall.vote/aapd) Share this online voter registration on social media, on your websites, in your email signature, in newsletters, and more.
- NDVRW Press Release Template Use this press release template to share your involvement in NDVRW 2020 in your state and communities.
- NDVRW Social Media Graphics Especially during COVID-19, Social Media is an incredibly powerful tool for encouraging people to register and vote.
- NDVRW Partners Supporting Organizations will have their name and logo listed on the REV UP website to show the vast support behind the Campaign.
- NDVRW Flyer Use this flyer to share information about NDVRW with your partners.
- NDVRW Spanish Materials*
*Special thanks to María Vicky Díaz, Dr. Sara M. Acevedo, and Dr. Federico Waitoller with the National Coalition for Latinxs with Disabilities/Coalición Nacional para Latinxs con Discapacidades (CNLD), and Laura Marquez from Paso Del Norte Children’s Development Center for providing Spanish translation.
Additional Ways to Participate in National Disability Voter Registration Week
- Write letters to the editor or Op-Eds and engage local radio or TV stations on the growing efforts by the disability community. Check out The Op-Ed Project for tips on writing a compelling Op-Ed!
- Organize a candidate town hall event or distribute candidate questionnaires to engage candidates with people with disabilities in your community. As a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization you must send an invitation to all candidates. Nonprofit VOTE offers additional resources and guides on staying nonpartisan.
- Connect with other disability rights and voting rights organizations in your area to partner on events and initiatives during NDVRW.
- Ask your Governor, Mayor, City Council, County Commissioner, or State Representative to issue a proclamation declaring July 13-17, 2020, National Disability Voter Registration Week. Find a draft Proclamation here and send any Proclamations you receive to email@example.com!
- Find out how other organizations are engaging in NDVRW on our State Resources and Events Page.
Resources from Previous NDVRW’s
- 2019 REV UP National Organizing Call Recap
- 2018 REV UP National Organizing Call Recap
- 2018 Joint Statement of Support from Senators Dole and Harkin
- 2018 REV UP Graphics