Action Alert: Raise the Wage Bill National Call-In Day, March 26!
March 25, 2019
Senators Bernie Sanders (VT) and Patty Murray (WA), Representatives Robert “Bobby” Scott (VA), Mark Pocan (WI) and Stephanie Murphy (FL) have introduced the Raise the Wage Act in Congress to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour and to phase out subminimum wage practices. Subminimum wage (Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act) allows employers to pay as little as $1 per hour, or less, to workers with disabilities if they are considered less capable than a person who is not disabled. We need your help to pass this Act and get Americans with disabilities paid a fair wage.
On March 26, call your Senators and Representative on national call-in day and ask them to support the Raise the Wage Act and eliminate the sub-minimum wage for disabled workers. If enacted, this legislation would:
- Sunset the much-criticized ability of employers to pay workers with disabilities a subminimum wage through certificates issued by DOL;
- Raise the federal minimum wage to $8.55 this year and increase it over the next five years until it reaches $15 an hour in 2024;
- After 2024, adjust the minimum wage each year to keep pace with growth in the typical worker’s wages;
- Phase out the outdated subminimum wage for tipped workers, which has been frozen at a meager $2.13 since 1991; and,
- Phase out the subminimum wage for workers under the age of 20.
Call your Member of Congress and request that they co-sponsor and vote to pass the Raise the Wage Act (S.150, H.R.582)!
Call your Members of Congress
Call the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 or (202) 224-3091 (TTY) and ask to be connected to your Senators or Representative. Once connected, make sure you give them your name and identify that you are a constituent. Below is a sample script for your calls.
Sample Call Script:
Hello, this is [Name]. I’m a resident of [Town, State]. I am calling to express my support for the Raise the Wage Act. Raising the minimum wage to $15/hr and ending subminimum wage practices is a win-win for workers AND the economy. Eliminating the sub-minimum wage for disabled workers is long over due in achieving real justice and economic security. I am asking [Member of Congress’ Name] to cosponsor the Raise the Wage Act and vote YES to ending the sub-minimum wage and raising the minimum wage to $15/hr. Thank you for taking my call! [IF LEAVING A VOICEMAIL: please leave your full street address and zip code to ensure your call is tallied]
[Optional Add On]
Personal stories are the most effective form of advocacy. Talk about why ending subminimum wage and raising the minimum wage is important for you or someone you know and love.
Email your Members of Congress
Contacting Congress provides unique links to email your Senators and Representative directly.
Tweet your Members of Congress
Twitter has become a powerful tool to communicate with elected officials directly. Find your Senators and Representative on Twitter and tell them to co-sponsor the DIA!
- House of Representatives Twitter Handles
- Senate Twitter Handles
- Use the hashtags: #RaiseTheWage and #FightFor15