Urgent Action Alert: Disability Integration Act Co-Sponsors Needed!
March 4, 2019
We need your help securing members of the House Energy and Commerce Committee as co-sponsors of the Disability Integration Act (DIA) in order to achieve movement on this bill in the 116th Congress. Please contact members of this Committee and urge them to co-sponsor the DIA!
The DIA is bipartisan and bicameral civil rights legislation that ensures people with disabilities have a right to live and receive services in their own homes. It further secures our Constitutionally-protected right to liberty by preventing disabled people from being forced into costly institutional settings by unnecessary government regulations. The DIA (H.R. 555 and S. 117) was re-introduced in the 116th Congress on January 15th by Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-NY), Senator Cory Gardner (R-CO), and Representative Jim Sensenbrenner (R-WI) to create a comprehensive solution that assures the full integration of all Americans with disabilities. For more information on DIA, visit: www.disabilityintegrationact.org.
The House Energy and Commerce Committee is in charge of the first part of the legislative process to eventually bring this bill to a full vote in the House of Representatives. If your Representative sits on this Committee (see list below), please reach out to them right away. Tell them, “Please co-sponsor DIA (H.R. 555) today!” Then ask your family, friends, co-workers, and other community members to call and email as well.
We need your help to achieve passage of this imperative civil rights legislation and affirm the right of people with disabilities to live independently and be full participants in their communities. Please take action today!
Call your Members of Congress
Call the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 or (202) 224-3091 (TTY) and ask to be connected to your Senators or Representative.
Once connected, ask to speak with a staff member who handles civil rights and/or disability issues. Make sure you give them your name and identify that you are a constituent. Tell the staff member, “Please tell Representative [NAME] that I want them to co-sponsor the Disability Integration Act (H.R. 555) today!”
Email your Members of Congress
Contacting Congress provides unique links to email your Senators and Representative directly.
Tweet your Members of Congress
Twitter has become a powerful tool to communicate with elected officials directly. Find your Senators and Representative on Twitter and tell them to co-sponsor the DIA!
- House of Representatives Twitter Handles
- Senate Twitter Handles
- Use the hashtags: #DIA #DIAToday #DisabilityFreedom
- Fact sheets with talking points for both Democrats and Republicans
- Current list of House co-sponsors for the DIA
- Current list of Senate co-sponsors for the DIA
List of House Energy and Commerce Members NOT Signed-On as DIA Co-Sponsors
- AZ : Representative O’Halleran (D)
- CA : Representative Cardenas (D)
- CA : Representative Eshoo (D)
- CA : Representative McNerney (D)
- CA : Representative Peters (D)
- CA : Representative Ruiz (D)
- DE : Representative Blunt Rochester (D)
- FL : Representative Bilirakis (R)
- FL : Representative Castor (D)
- GA : Representative Carter (R)
- IA : Representative Loebsack (D)
- IL : Representative Kelly (D)
- IL : Representative Kinzinger (R)
- IL : Representative Rush (D)
- IL : Representative Shimkus (R)
- IN : Representative Brooks (R)
- IN : Representative Bucshon (R)
- KY : Representative Guthrie (R)
- LA : Representative Scalise (R)
- MD : Representative Sarbanes (D)
- MI : Representative Upton (R)
- MI : Representative Walberg (R)
- MO : Representative Long (R)
- MT : Representative Gianforte (R)
- NC : Representative Butterfield (D)
- NC : Representative Hudson (R)
- NH : Representative Kuster (D)
- NJ : Representative Pallone (D)
- NM : Representative Lujan (D)
- OH : Representative Johnson (R)
- OH : Representative Latta (R)
- OK : Representative Mullin (R)
- OR : Representative Schrader (D)
- OR : Representative Walden (R)
- SC : Representative Duncan (R)
- TX : Representative Burgess (R)
- TX : Representative Flores (R)
- TX : Representative Olson (R)
- TX : Representative Veasey (D)
- VA : Representative Griffith (R)
- VA : Representative McEachin (D)
- WV : Representative Mckinley (R)